Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So Many Books, So Little Time


The joys of being a book nerd are endless, far stretching and easily humored.

Take for instance my new habit. On Saturday after work, Eric and I drive up to Morgantown to Barnes & Noble and spend countless hours perusing their books, coffee, and music. Eric heads straight for the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake and I browse the magazines first because they're eye catching and close enough to steal a bite of cheesecake. And it's so much darn fun it's like waiting for Christmas to arrive! It started on Valentine's Day, I mean how symbolic is that? One week we even went up twice and I have a feeling if it was in town, we'd probably spend most of our lives there.

If you love books I know you'd understand. If like my brother, you do not, the idea of spending any amount of time in a bookstore is pure torture! Which I can't fanthom, so I'm not going there.

Just walking into a bookstore is a thrill. Books have a certain smell and energy to them and I'm not sure I can describe it, but it gets right to your core and makes your brain all strung out with a love of words on paper. If there's a coffee shop in the store, then by all means, one is screwed. There's no going back. That is unless you dislike the smell or taste of coffee and I feel bad for you. Last Saturday, I got a latte and I had to tell Eric how 'chic' it felt. I felt like a book snob and that's all right to be. So long as it doesn't go to your head and you think what you read and write is superb to everyone elses. Don't be like that, nobody likes that kind of snob.

Here in my town, there's a great little bookstore. It used to be an old house because when you walk in you're greeted with old, worn hardwood floors and beautiful crown molding. The first floor holds the newer books and although that is nice, the treasure is on the second floor. There's like four rooms of used books for a decent price! It was like a choir of angels singing the first time we went up there. Last week I found a French dictionary from 1903 and I wasn't able to get it that day, but I was craving it so badly, I finally had to have it. All books deserve good homes. They need someone who loves them and cares about their well being. I was so happy with my new book I hugged it to me the whole ride home.

One day when we went Eric found a book he used to own but had lost in a horrible move. He was shocked to find it was the exact same one, only it was many years later. I mean, seriously, how cool is that? It's like the lost puppy who found his home again.

I only wish I could adopt all the books I love. They stare at me through the window with sad, lonely eyes.

Don't throw out your books. Donate them to people who need them. Heck, donate them to me. And go visit your local bookstore. Read them. Love them. Cherish them. They can become your new best friend.

So, I've clearly established myself as the book nerd I am. And that is perfectly fine with me and I'm already longing for my next bookstore!

5 comments:

  1. You have described how Tim and I, and now Lilly, spend most of our favorite days. I am right there with you and think you described it all perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must run in the family! The best days and memories made are spent with books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are soooooo much alike it makes me Happy! Not only are you family wise one step removed from being sisters. But you both have the GREATEST LOVE for BOOKS.
    Cacie "Baby" you make my heart hum when I read your writing... You are GOOD..
    I wish I could go to the little book store in your town that sound like my ideal.
    Remember Aunty Nanc LOVE'S old movie stars and their BIO. Kate always find them for me. You can be on the look out now too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I ever realized Kate and I were that much alike! But I'm very glad!

    I'm all for heart humming!!

    And I am now on the look out for old movie stars and their bio's. If they're there, I will find them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you've done it. i'm craving star bucks and I want to go to an antique shop and find "the" book. It's funny bc i LOVE old books too, but i love the look and history of them. I want to take pictures of them and display them and you want to read them and hug them to your heart!

    I love you and i and i LOVE your blog. Reading your writings are SO intriguing to me. This is great!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete